Types of Gestational Diabetes
There are 2 types of gestational diabetes:
Type A1: Only diet modification is sufficient to maintain normal glucose levels.
Type A2: Insulin or other medications along with diet are required to maintain normal range of blood glucose.
Gestational diabetes is also classified into different forms of diabetes which existed prior to pregnancy:
- Type B: onset at age 20 or older or with duration of less than 10 years.
- Type C: onset at age 10-19 or duration of 1-19 years.
- Type D: onset before age 10 or duration greater than 20 years.
- Type F: diabetic nephropathy.
- Type R: diabetic retinopathy.
- Type H: diabetes with ischemic heart disease.
- Type T: diabetes requiring kidney transplant.